Google+

Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Art of Giving Flowers

The other day, Ian bought me flowers.  Just like that.  He returned home from work clutching a bouquet of flowers that he presented to me with flourish as I was cooking dinner in the kitchen.  It wasn't Valentine's Day, our anniversary or my birthday.  He gave me flowers because he said he was proud of me for everything I had achieved and wanted to do something nice to let me know how much he loved me.  My spirits soared and my smile lit up my face.  A thoughtful and unexpected gesture like this can really make your day.

flower giving

Flowers have been used for centuries to symbolise meanings.  The Victorians used to give and receive flowers as a part of their courtship.  Each flower had a meaning and the bouquets contained a secret message for the lady to interpret.  The romantic gentleman could convey his feelings and intentions using the secret code of flowers.  There was real thought and meaning behind the art of giving flowers.  Here are some of those hidden meanings.

  • Carnation- Fascination
  • Chrysanthemum- Friendship
  • Daisy- Loyal love
  • Orchid- Love and beauty
  • Lily- Purity and sweetness
  • Red rose- Romantic love
  • Pink rose- Secret love
  • Yellow rose- Friendship
  • White rose- Innocent love
  • Rose, Yellow & Orange: Passionate thoughts
My bouquet contained a red rose and carnation...so I think Ian definitely made a good choice!

Even though we no longer adhere to the same code, buying flowers for a loved one is a gesture full of love and thought.  Favourite colours, preferred blooms and bouquets that we think suit the recipient's personality are thoughtful and valid reasons for choosing a particular arrangement and bring such joy.  As long as they are picked with love, flowers are sure to please!



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...