Google+

Monday 5 November 2012

A Wonderful Family Weekend

This weekend was the window in my daughter Megan's busy schedule, reserved for celebrating her 21st birthday with her family.  We booked a private function room at our local gem of a venue Fordhall Farm for a three course sit down meal, and invited our nearest and dearest to join us.

As it is my dad's 80th birthday the day before Megan's 21st, we surprised him by including him in the proceedings.  We bought helium balloons festooned with their ages which delighted them both!  We also made my dad a CD recording from a very old tape cassette he had of his parents singing.  This made him very emotional as he remembered his mum and dad and relived happy family memories.  My girls comforted him and it was a beautiful moment.

birthday, balloons
Birthday Boy and Girl

Having my Megan and my son Joe and his blooming pregnant fiance Jade stay for the whole weekend was lovely.  Having all my chicks back in the nest is one of my greatest pleasures (albeit a noisy and chaotic one!)

family, children
Kizzy, Fred, Joe, Ella and Megan

It was nice to have visitors pop in to see both Meg and Joe, as their old friends realised they were back home and we enjoyed some real laughs together during the weekend.  In fact I haven't laughed so hard in ages!

laughing, son
Having A Laugh With Friends

On Sunday we went for the meal.  It was so wonderful to also be joined by my niece and her boyfriend, which was a lovely surprise for my mum and dad.  Megan was really pleased to see her cousin and it was nice to hear them planning a night out in Manchester.  Unfortunately my nephew couldn't make it as he is off to Alabama to see his American fiance this week, so we had to take a visit rain check.

girls, family
Gorgeous Girls

The food was absolutely incredible.  We started with a goat's cheese, walnut and fennel salad which was so good.  It is not an option I would ever had picked from a menu, but I'm now a convert to the idea of salad starters because it was so interesting with different flavours and textures working together.

Eight of us opted for the nut roast for our main course. The accompaniments were amazing.  Huge serving bowls were brought out with roast potatoes, red cabbage, brocolli and greens, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire puddings and roasted vegetables.  There was so much food!  We piled our plates high, yet didn't finish it.

family meal
Tom and Ella Listening To One of Grandad's stories!


Dessert was an apple and pear sponge served with home made custard sauce.  The meal lived up to my high hopes and we enjoyed chatting and relaxing, while Freddy played in the function room with the farm's playgroup toys!

Fordhall farm
I've Got Toys!!

We'd bought a huge baked toffee and choc chip cheesecake and a Bailey's roulade from a local pudding shop, but we were all stuffed, so I organised take away packages of cake for our guests to take home!

As the evening wore on, those of us left, plus one of Megan's friends who came over to see her, watched X Factor and made a big dent in the remaining puddings.   It was a great night (especially seeing Rylan saved by deadlock again!!)

sisters, girls, family
Kizzy and Jade

We had a fabulous time and I loved being surrounded by friends and family. I can't believe that my gorgeous daughter is about to turn 21.  I am so proud of her and everything she has achieved and I love her so very much.  I hope she enjoyed her weekend with her loved ones as much as I did!!

21, balloon, girl
Happy 21st Birthday!!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...